Each month, Clarkesworld Magazine features a single piece of artwork that will serve as the cover for both our online, ebook and chapbook editions of that issue. Our rights are restricted to the covers and marketing materials for an issue. All other rights remain with the artist. Payment is $200 and two copies of the chapbook. Artist's bio and link to their gallery will be posted on our website.
What We're Looking For
- Genre art doesn't have to look genre. It can, but we strongly suggest that you take a look at the cover art from prior issues. These are just a few:
- Color artwork is preferred. We have bought B&W art, but it is a very hard sell.
- Author names and our header will appear on all finished covers. If your art contains crucial elements that appear in these locations, it will not work for us. If we're very enthusiastic about a piece that suffers from this problem, we may ask if you'd be willing to make changes.
- Landscape artwork is preferred but not required. Since we use the art for chapbook covers, landscape art should be able to stand alone when only the right half is visible.
- Artwork must be available in a 300dpi .tif. Landscape covers measure 11" wide by 8.5" high. Artwork for covers must include a 1/4" bleed. Do not crop your own artwork if it goes outside these margins.
- Artwork must not suffer when resized. This sounds funny, but since we are using the cover on the website and on the chapbooks, we are working with very different dimensions and need pieces that work in both. If your amazingly cool image looks muddy at 250 pixels high, it won't work for us.
Submissions Process Guidelines
Artists interested in submitting their work for consideration should send the URL for their online gallery or portfolio to Neil Clarke (email@example.com). We will confirm receipt of your email, but will not follow up with you unless we are interested in a particular piece. Please do not send us update notices about your gallery more than once every two months.